Greg Downey Producer Interview
Greg Downey Producer Interview
We recently had a chat with Greg Downey, an established & talented energetic trance producer from the UK who created this Energetic Trance Template For Logic Pro for Myloops. Greg has released tracks on labels such as Vandit Recordings, Discover Records and Perfecto. We took this opportunity to do a producer interview him a few questions about his favorite trance production techniques.
Hi Greg ! What’s coming next from you in the near future ?
Hello ! My latest single with Bo Bruce has recently come out on Perfecto Records and has done really well so far, its a track I am proud of and you can check it out here : https://pro.beatport.com/track/these-hands-i-hold-original-mix/6884928
I’ve been working on lots of new music for 2016, there’s some really cool bits coming. This last year I have just been redefining my sound and working hard in the studio.
Can you give us a few of your favorite production tricks :
> One arrangement trick ?
It’s so easy to get stuck in a loop when you are producing, going over and over the same thing and going nowhere. I like to create tracks in sections, maybe kick and bass, main theme and melody and main kick in or drop of the track. This way when you get stuck you can work on each section and then piece them all together to make the end result.
> One mixing trick ?
Less is more, minimise to maximize so to speak. Sometimes the more stuff we have going on the shitter the mix can become so if your track gets overloaded with parts then group them together and mix them that way eg bass, fx, leads etc, like 5 or 6 stems and that way its easier to control everything.
Your 3 favourite synthesizers and why ?
- Virus TI – when I first bought my studio, I got one and the texture of the sound is so unique, it really sounds great & wide. I also like the fact that it is hands on, I think I would like a few more pieces of hardware.
- Massive – I only recently got back onto this synth and its so powerful, It can be a little tricky to use at times but the sounds are rediculous.
- Zebra – I’ve been using this for years and the sounds are HUGE, recommended.
Your 3 favorite FX plugins and why ?
- Lexicon Reverbs – I love these reverbs and they are great for creating space in the mix, they have a really classy feel to them.
- Sausage Fattener – can beef up the elements of your tracks so much, its great for giving a sound that extra edge.
- Waves Renaissance Bass – this is so easy to use and great for sub bass to give a really warm feel to the bottom end.
Do you have any advice for beginners who want to get noticed with their productions ?
Yes, make sure they are fucking amazing. There are so many tracks coming out each week and there is a lot of competition out there, so many good producers so if you wanna break through you need to be at the level to get noticed. Its best to take your time to create something great and that also has originality, do that and you will be noticed.
You recently released a trance template with Myloops, who would you say this is for and how did you go about creating it ?
This is the more driving trance sound I have been known for over the years and it will really benefit anyone who is looking to make trance records, its quite edgy too with loads of cool effects and having the project will show you exactly how it is done to help speed your productions, enjoy ! 🙂
Thank you Greg !
That’s it guys, I hope you enjoyed this producer interview. Feel free to leave your thoughts in the comment section and / or let us know which other producers you would like to see interviewed in the future !